Thursday, May 7, 2015

Class 14: Examining Gender, Race, and Body Image in the Virtual World

For this assignment i used 2 different avatars to see how people responded differently.  I didn't find really any differences using two completely different people as i interchanged between 5 worlds.

First i went into a world that was called Little Sandbox.  This world is supposed to be inviting and welcoming spot for new people.  Although this wasn's exactly the case.  There were about 15 people in this world, so i waited a couple minutes thinking someone would message me, but no one did.  There was a group chat so i began responding and i was completely ignored.  As i look back at this world, i dont think it was the best world to have a discussion/conversation in.  

The 2nd world i entered into was called Blarney Stone Irish Park.  Here i didn't wait to be talked to, i actually started a conversation in the group chat with everyone and said "Hey whats up guys?" I ended up getting a response from some guy saying "Hey, christina how are you?" So i ended up saying "Good how are you?"  I waited for his response back, but then he never answered.  I did try joining into the conversation to see if anyone else would respond to me, but they did not.  I looked at the chat and what some people were talking about and they were just conversing among each other saying "oh joey your back, its nice to see you again."  I kinda felt awkward saying anything else because i wasn't really getting any answers from anyone in this world/group chat, so i ended up just leaving.




The 3rd world i entered into was called The Tabirin Music Club.  Here not that many people were present only about 6 or 7.  Like again i had the same character, and tried to talk to people.  This time i ended up just chatting with only one person not the whole group chat.  I thought that this would make a difference if i just talked to only one person, then they would maybe respond to me.  So i chatted this girl that was in this specific world with me and said "hey whats up?"  She ended up saying "Hello." But that was the extent of the conversation. 


This was the 4th world i had entered into and it was called The Dark Style Fair 2.  In this world i changed my avatar to a female african amercian.  So as in the last world above i ended up chatting one specific person.  I said the same thing "Hey whats up?" She said "Hello how are you?" Then i responded back and said "Good just hanging out." I thought she would not answer me again at this point seeming as when i was in the other 3 world no one really made and effort to talk to me.  I waited a couple seconds and then i got a notification saying that she had responded.  She said "Thats cool, same with me."  I ended up having a 5 minute conversation with her.  i asked her why people come here and what they do here, she responded saying that they come here to explore and talk to other people.  I said oh that is cool i guess, she said that some people always come here because they are lonely and they get to talk have friends on here.  She ended up asking me why i was here and i told her i had an assignment from my professor, that we had to complete.  She asked me what i had to do, and i pretty much said we have to go into different worlds, and talk to people and examine how we are treated in each world, whether we are a different color or gender.  She told me that, this was cool and good luck on my assignment. So at least she talked to me and didn't ignore me while i was in the world.







The last and final world (#5) that i was in was called Rez Nightclub.  In this world i kept the same avatar, the female african american.  I made her a bit taller, so maybe her size would make some people talk to her, it some what helped, but no one judged her.  She was wearing a black dress as you can see above and down below.  I entered a "club" virtual world expecting their to be dancing and a lot of things going on.  In this world, it told me there were 30+ people but when i got here there were only a few.  I messaged one person but got no response.  I finally messaged another person his name was Ian.  I said "Hey whats up?" He said "nothing really, where are you from?" I responded to him saying "Im from Boston, and you?" He told me he was from London, England.  He proceeded to tell me that he looked at my profile and said everything was blank and asked if i was an "alt" I was confused and didnt really know what that meant, so all i responded back was "No im not, im here doing a class assignment."  He then didn't respond to me again, and i found that a little bit weird.  But overall, i did not experience any gender, or race judgements from people in these worlds.  They either kept quiet, or didnt talk at all, or i had to automatically start the conversation myself.  It was interesting finding out information, that people like spending most of their time in virtual worlds then outside seem fun.  You kinda wonder, is this what people really do, and will it be more popular in the future?  To tell you the truth i would rather be outside in the world talking to people rather through a computer screen, i just find it a little bit weird. But i mean in the end, im not going to judge other people for what they like and don't like.



No comments:

Post a Comment